IntelliMetric® - The Gold Standard in Automated Essay Scoring
What Is IntelliMetric?
IntelliMetric is an intelligent scoring system that emulates the process carried out by human scorers. IntelliMetric is theoretically grounded in a cognitive model often referred to as a "brain-based" or "mind-based" model of information processing and understanding. IntelliMetric draws upon the traditions of cognitive processing, artificial intelligence (A.I.), natural language understanding, and computational linguistics in the process of evaluating written text. Among the key tools employed in this process are natural language processing, statistics, and machine learning.
Scoring 100 Billion Essays and Counting
Introduced in 1997, Vantage Learning’s IntelliMetric was the first artificial intelligence (AI) essay scoring engine to reach human-level performance. Now regarded as the gold standard in automated essay scoring, IntelliMetric has scored 100 billion essays and counting. With accuracy, consistency, and reliability greater than human expert scoring, IntelliMetric is the most capable essay scoring engine on the market. IntelliMetric is capable of scoring long and short answer responses in more than 20 different languages.
- IntelliMetric analyzes more than 400 semantic, syntactic, and discourse-level features. These features fall into five major categories (Focus and Unity, Development/Elaboration, Organization, Sentence Structure, and Grammar and Mechanics).
- IntelliMetric consistently applies the internalized rubric. Once IntelliMetric learns the rubric and standards for scoring, it never waivers from that rubric.
- IntelliMetric scores consistently over time. IntelliMetric will produce the same scores for a given response every time. If IntelliMetric assigns a score of “1” today, it will continue to do so ad infinitum. The same cannot be said for human scorers.
- IntelliMetric is less subject to bias. IntelliMetric is not affected by the emotional content of a given essay response or a particular line of argument that may be offensive or unappealing to a human scorer.
- IntelliMetric Six-Judge Scoring Model. IntelliMetric uses six different mathematical approaches to relate the characteristics of the student’s writing to the requirements for a given score point. These mathematical models include a variety of statistical and artificial intelligence-based approaches, both linear and non-linear in nature.
- Using legitimacy detection, IntelliMetric can flag and reject any submission if it is off-topic, inappropriate, copies the question, or contains harmful messages.
The First Artificial Intelligence (AI) Essay Scoring Engine in Education
IntelliMetric is regarded as the "gold standard" in automated essay scoring.
- has scored 100 billion essays and counting in more than 20 different languages.
- agrees with expert scoring, often exceeding the performance of expert scorers.
- accurately scores long or short answer responses across a variety of grade levels, subject areas, and contexts.
- can be applied either in “Instructional” or “Standardized Assessment” modes.
With accuracy, consistency, and reliability greater than human expert scoring, IntelliMetric is the most capable automated essay scoring engine on the market.